Compiling WSPR for Linux (Ubuntu 8.10)

Here the steps that lead to successfully starting WSPR 1.1 on my Ubuntu 8.10 system:

From OH2GQC i got the information how to checkout the sources (You need SVN installed before):

mkdir src
cd src
svn checkout svn://svn.berlios.de/wsjt
cd wsjt/branches/wspr

now you need a couple of packages necessary to compile/run WSPR. The list can be found at WSPRNET.org

python2.5-dev
python-numpy 1.1.1 (no problems with this version here yet)
python-imaging tk
python-pmw
libportaudio2
libportaudio-dev
portaudio19-dev
libsamplerate0-dev
subversion
subversion tools (I may have thrown this in for good luck)
python-svn

In addition the gfortran compiler seems not valid for WSPR. Download the g95 debian package and install it. This compiler will work.

When i tested the revision of the trunk of the WSJT tree was something 11xx. There i got several error messages after typing make. Therefore i reverted the directory of WSPR back to r1045 which was said to be ok. I did this in the WSPR directory with the command:

svn up -r 1045

After that a ./configure should work and after that make should do all the compile stuff.

After that start WSPR with the command:

python wspr.py

VNWA completed

Today i finished the work on my DG8SAQ VNWA and did some experiments measuring filters and antennas i already had reference results for. The results are really good for such a simple hardware.

DG8SAQ VNWA

DG8SAQ VNWA

The next picture shows a screenshot of the UHF part of my homemade diplex filter.

UHF part of diplexer

UHF part of diplexer

Building up DG8SAQ VNWA

Beginning this week i received my DG8SAQ Vector Network Analyzer kit. I used some of the rare time this week to start the assembly of the kit. Until now i finished the assembly and testing of the power supply section and the both DDS sections. Mounting the DDS IC’s was a little bit difficult even with a stereo microscope and hot air station. The PCB i got was gold plated without tin. For the first DDS i tried to solder the pins first and then i tried to get the solder tin through the open vias at the bottomof the PCB to the¬† top side. My fear was that there might be no connection beween ground and the exposed pad of the DDS. So i removed the chip again. I saw that my fear was not confirmed. The exposed pad was clearly soldered before. Cleaning the pads and soldering the chip a second time was really tougth job …

Two sections of the circuits still to do. Lets see !

DG8SAQ VNWA partly assembled

DG8SAQ VNWA partly assembled